Smartphones are key communication tools in the personal and work life of the connected world we now live in. And with every new phone entering the marketplace, more features are added that increase our reliance on these devices. The long-awaited new Pixel and Pixel XL phones from Google (NASDAQ:GOOGL) come with some premium hardware and applications that will undoubtedly increase this reliance for Android users looking for a premium device.
For small business owners full-featured premium smartphones are not always an option, mainly because of the price. The new phones from Google are made to compete with flagship phones from Apple, Samsung and others, and they are priced accordingly. While the Pixel phones may price many customers out, businesses and otherwise, the features in the phones make a strong case for the price tag.
Here are some of the specs for both phones, which are very similar, giving you the option of having a powerful smartphone in a large and small form factor.
A Look at Google’s Pixel Phone Line
Features the Pixel and Pixel XL Share
The approach Google has taken for these phones should be commended, because the guts of the Pixel are almost identical. The Pixel and Pixel XL have the same following specs:
- Rear Camera: 12.3-megapixel, large 1.55?m pixels, phase detection autofocus + laser detection autofocus, f/2.0 aperture,
- Front Camera: 8-megapixel, 1.4µm pixels, f/2.4 aperture, fixed focus,
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 Quad Core 2x 2.15GHz / 2x 1.6GHz,
- RAM and Storage: 4GB RAM, 32GB or 128GB storage,
- Ports and Slots: USB Type-C, USB 3.0, 3.5mm headset jack, Single Nano SIM,
- Connectivity: GPS, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC,
- Fast charging: up to 7 hours of use from only 15 minutes of charging,
- Aerospace-grade aluminum unibody, and
- Built for VR: You can get the new Daydream View VR headset for free if you pre-order.
The phones also share the same sensors, which includes a fingerprint sensor, Android 7.1 Nougat, and skins with new colors the company calls Quite Black, Very Silver, and Really Blue.
The differences are very few, and it is mostly based on the size of the phones.
- Screen Size: 5.5 inches QHD AMOLED at 534ppi with 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass 4 and 2,560×1,440 pixels,
- Battery: nonremovable 3,450mAh battery with talk time of up to 32 hours on 3g/WCDMA and Internet use time of up to 14 hours on LTE and Wi-Fi. It also has an impressive video playback of up to 14 hours, and
- Form Factor: 6.0 x 2.9 x 0.2 ~ 0.34 inches or 154.7 x 75.7 x 7.3 ~ 8.5 mm.
- Screen Size: 5.0 inches, FHD AMOLED at 441ppi with 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass 4 and 1,920×1,080 pixels,
- Battery: nonremovable 2,770mAh battery with up to 26 hours talk time on 3g/WCDMA and LTE and Wi-Fi Internet use time of up to 13 hours, and up to 13 hours of video playback, and
- Form Factor: 5.6 x 2.7 x 0.2 ~ 0.3 inches or 143.8 x 69.5 x 7.3 ~ 8.5 mm.
While you can find these features on many phones, there are some ways in which the Pixel phones differentiate themselves. They are the first phones to have built-in Google Assistant and a live 24×7 customer care support with integrated Screen Share. And you get unlimited cloud storage, a feature most, if not all, phone manufacturers charge for.
What Will Pixel Phones Offer Small Business Owners?
Unlimited storage is a great option, because virtually every small business with an online presence can use it to store video, audio, and data they capture on their phone without any worries.
Google Assistant uses the latest technology in AI to deliver a more intuitive experience to get answers, manage everyday tasks, be entertained, find photos faster, keep tabs on travel and much more. The AI also integrates Now on Tap, which will give you contextual information based on what is on your screen.
If you happen to own an iPhone, a new fast switch feature lets you quickly migrate to Pixel in three simple steps and a long battery life that will come in handy for any small business owner.
Last but definitely not least is the 24/7 customer care support with integrated Screen Share. As any small business owner knows, customer service will make or break your business, and this feature is a winner. Being able to access care support with integrated Screen Share means you will never be at a loss of what to do when something goes wrong.
According to the company, no matter where you are, day or night a Google expert is just a tap away. All you have to do is open the Settings app on your device and tap the Support tab and simply accept the “View screen share request” sent by the agent.
Price and Availability
The smartphone segment is heavily populated, and the trend seems to be going to medium priced phones with high end features, which is currently being dominated by Chinese manufacturers like ZTE and itsAxon7, Huawei and others.
This doesn’t seem to have factored in for Google, because the Pixel line is not cheap, as a matter of fact they are expensive. The Pixel with the 32GB storage starts at $649 and the 128GB model will cost you a wallet crunching $749. If you want the XL, you will have to pay $769 and $869 respectively for the 32GB and 128GB models.
You can pre-order the phones now, and they will be arriving at retail and online stores by October 20.
The Pixel phones will not win the most innovative design, specs or app awards, but the sum of all its different parts would seem to suggest a useful phone for the small business owner — that is if you want to part with what it will cost to get it.