Far Cry New Dawn is a direct sequel to Far Cry 5. Announced at The Game Awards 2018, it brings players back to Hope County, Montana years after Far Cry 5’s nuke-filled fiery conclusion where you have to contend with a new enemy faction of pirates known as the Highwaymen. The Far Cry New Dawn release date is February 15 and is priced at $40 in the US. No Far Cry New Dawn price for India has been announced just yet. Just like Far Cry 5, it will be coming to the PS4, Xbox One, and Windows PC. Aside from revealing the game, Ubisoft also let slip details pertaining to Far Cry New Dawn’s gameplay, setting, and story.
Far Cry New Dawn gameplay
- Outposts return and are now linked to an all-new Escalation mode: players have to first conquer these Outposts, before scavenging for resources such as ethanol. Abandoned Outposts are claimed by increasingly higher-level Highwaymen, who reinforce the facilities while improving the alarm systems. Meanwhile, players can embark on Expeditions to exotic parts of the United States. These are essentially smash-and-grab missions to claim valuable resources.
- Weapons and crafting: every item owned in America is now makeshift, and therefore highly personalised. Unique, signature weapons replace the old world off-the-shelf armoury, and every makeshift weapon can be upgraded with the appropriate resources. The Saw Launcher, for example, hurls singular circular saws to start out with, but eventually three can fire at once. Weapons are tailored on the workbench at home base.
- Guns for Hire: Ubisoft admits that Far Cry New Dawn is balanced to give co-op players the best possible experience, for those playing solo the new Guns for Hire is an option. Among the Guns for Hire made known so far are 17-year-old Carmina – the daughter of Nick and Kim Frye (Carmina was the new-born in the Far Cry 5 mission ‘Special Delivery’). There is also Nana, an elderly lady who is a stealthy sniper, described as a sharp shooter with a sharp tongue.
- Fangs for Hire: there is a new dog called Timber, an Akita, who can now accompany players in vehicles, head out of the window. There’s Horatio a giant hog. Horatio is trained to attack intruders, and is capable of flinging Highwaymen around like toys, three or four at a time.
Far Cry New Dawn setting and story
- Hope Country isn’t a post-apocalyptic wasteland like the Fallout games: America has only recently emerged from the grasp of a nuclear winter, and Hope County has been fortunate to benefit from the vagaries of a resurgent mother nature. Those people that survived have emerged into a new Super Bloom biome; colourful and full of life.
- Familiar characters are back: led by Kim Rye from Far Cry 5, the Survivors establish a home base, where children can be kept safe and prosper. The production of ethanol becomes a priority, fuelling farm vehicles and machinery, and keeping transport on the move. As resources are harvested, the home base facilities improve, with upgrades to the Training Camp, Garage, Healing Garden, and Cartographer among others.
Far Cry New Dawn villains
There are two main antagonists in Far Cry New Dawn – siblings Mickey and Lou, the twin daughters of their father and Highwaymen founder. Mickey and Lou are the group’s leaders, complementing each other’s hard personalities.They’ve grown used to civilians surrendering on sight and could shape up as formidable foes.
Considering that we’ve seen Far Cry 4 in November 2014, Far Cry Primal in February 2016, and Far Cry 5 in March 2018. Far Cry New Dawn’s release barely a year since Far Cry 5 makes us wonder if it’s a stop gap title in between bigger, potential showings like the alleged Watch Dogs 3 or a firm release date for known titles like Beyond Good and Evil 2.