Widely regarded for redefining bridal couture’s status quo, JADE by Monica & Karishma continues to make style statements with their non-conformist designs every season. The brand was founded by Monica Shah and Karishma Swali in 2008. While Shah discovered her innate talent for design and love for draping at St Martin’s, London, Swali chose to chart out a career in fashion after her stint at National Institute of Fashion Technology, India. Fusing their international experience with design know-how has served their brides—both at home and overseas—well over the years.
Tell us about your collection at the Vogue Wedding Show 2019.
Our collection, titled La Muse Mystique, is inspired by the heady rush of emotions that engulf the bride during the greatest day of her life. It’s a call for unfettered celebration, with a touch of mystique and oodles of glamour. The collection has an outfit for every occasion—from the sangeet to the cocktail party to the wedding reception. You’ll find a stunning interplay of floral patterns and geometric textures, and a heady contrast of colours.
Who is the JADE by Monica & Karishma bride?
She is someone with a very unique and eclectic sense of style. She isn’t afraid to experiment or break the rules of conventional dressing for any occasion. She’s well-travelled, yet rooted at the same time. She appreciates art and handcrafted luxury, because their uniqueness speaks to her own. This in turn pushes us to experiment with newer, off-beat palettes, find interesting ways to blend modern and traditional aesthetics, and create pieces that are opulent and one-of-a-kind, but never restrictive.
What are the biggest bridal trends for 2019?
It’s all about lightweight, breathable outfits that are versatile, and allow brides to dance freely. Brides today want pieces that are multi-functional, something that they can continue using even after the wedding and ceremonies are done. Above all, they’re looking for something that’s customisable and unique to their individuality.
- Colours: The palette is full of hypnotic brushstrokes—lilac, red, indigos, aegean blues, black, silver, violet, whites, pinks, classic indigo, glitzy gold, noir black and more.
- Silhouette: The silhouettes span from demure to playful to sensuous. Intricate lace and sparkling embroideries add a touch of fragility with a modern edge.
- Motifs: While florals are usually classic, geometric motifs make the outfit sharp and give it an edge.
- Details: It’s important to have that one contemporary detail—it can set the entire ensemble apart. We really think ruffles and fringe have the power to do that.
- Fabrics: According to us, organza, silk and tule are lightweight, luxurious and work beautifully for bridal couture.
Take a closer look at the collection in our gallery below.