Fire guts large hardware store in Samut Sakhon

, , Comments Off on Fire guts large hardware store in Samut Sakhon

Firemen hose down the fire at a commercial building selling construction materials and machine tools in Samut Sakhon’s Muang district in the early hours of Tuesday. (Photo taken from Sumet Chansa-ard Facebook page)

SAMUT SAKHON – Fire burned out a large hardware store in Muang district in the early hours of Tuesday, causing no casualties but damage was estimated at 30 million baht.

Fire trucks were called to the burning four-storey building housing J.K.C Machine Tools Co on Rama II Road in tambon Bang Nam Jued around 3.30am, police said.

The blaze spread quickly, feeding on flammable materials stored inside the building. Firemen took more than two hours to bring it under control.

Surit Juengsa-nga, 55, owner of the firm, said he and three other family members lived in the building. He was awoken from sleep on the fourth floor by a loud bang. He rushed downstairs to see what was happening and saw black smoke coming from the third floor. He immediately told all family members to leave the building, Thai media reported.

The company imports and sells construction tools and other materials. Damage was estimated at more than 30 million baht.

Police said an electrical short circuit might have caused the fire. They were investigating.